It’s a fact that accidents do occur. And if they do, you might have to deal with possible increases to your insurance premium and pay for car repairs and injuries. Driving safely can help keep you and your family safe and your premium under control.
Types of Deadly Car Accidents
Following are six typical car collisions and suggestions for avoiding them:
1. Rear-End Collision
Every driver is responsible for maintaining a safe following distance from other cars on the road, which varies depending on factors including vehicle speed, road conditions, and a variety of other things. However, drivers can be negligent. Rear-end crashes are a common reason for automobile insurance claims. These collisions can be frequently prevented by following these suggestions:
- Maintain your distance- Drive far enough behind the vehicle in front of you to provide a secure halt. This is especially true in adverse weather conditions.
- Use caution when driving- Do not put yourself in a scenario where you might have to brake suddenly. Rear-endings can happen if a driver follows you too closely or isn’t paying attention.
- Keep your focus- Never eat, read a text, or look for your phone while driving.
- Avoid driving when drunk or tired
2. Parked Car Accident
A parked car being struck by another car is a frequent reason for car damage. Take precautions to help prevent parked car collisions. Here are a few recommendations:
- Go the distance- Avoid parking in the most active area of a parking lot. Instead, pick a location distant from busy areas.
- Maximize the space- Park in the middle of the space at all times. If your car is parked too close to a line, move it. It will prevent other cars from hitting yours when they enter or exit nearby spaces.
- Try to find a garage to park in when not in use, you should park your car in a secure location.
- Park carefully- Avoid parking close to driveways, tight turns, and busy junctions. Your car might not be visible to other drivers, who might side-swipe it as they pass.
3. Single-vehicle Accidents
Single-vehicle losses can result from collisions with objects like roadside debris, animals, or barricades. The car accident lawyers at Nicoletti Accident Injury Lawyers suggest follow these tips:
- Adapt your driving to the weather- Drive at speeds that allow you to keep control on a rainy, snowy, or icy day, even if your car is the only one on the road.
- Always be mindful and avoid speeding.
4. Cracked windshield
The majority of windshield damage is caused by other vehicles throwing rocks and stones into the air. By keeping your distance from cars and trucks, you can prevent such damage.
Additionally, avoid following snow plows that are discharging salt or other granular materials. There are some bits that are big enough to break and chip.
5. Crashes at Intersections
Another location where accidents regularly happen is at intersections. Distracted drivers risk missing the transition from green to yellow to red at traffic lights. Or they fail to detect cars stopping before turns.
Driving cautiously can help you prevent accidents. When the light turns green, wait a bit to make sure nobody is approaching the junction. Beware of drivers who attempt to beat a yellow light at a crosswalk by driving too quickly. Avoid taking chances when you’re approaching a yellow light.
6. Reverse collisions
Accidents can occur when reversing out of a driveway or a parking space. Driving a vehicle with a back camera is important. If your car doesn’t already have one, make sure to install one.
Here are some other tips for what you can do if your vehicle lacks a back camera:
- Look around to evaluate the area and traffic flow before getting into your car.
- Use your mirrors and brakes as soon as you are fully out of the parking space and into traffic.
- Never reverse distracted.
Accident-related injuries don’t always include physical harm. You may have mental and emotional harm as a result of an automobile accident. If you’ve suffered serious injuries in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you need to talk to a qualified vehicle accident attorney right away.